LSL Senior 1BĀ 

Kilbarrack Utd – 5

Willow Park – 2

Kilbarrack Utd put in a five-star performance and put five goals past Willow Park to remain firmly in the LSL Senior 1B title race at Greendale Road on Friday night. Chris McDonnell’s men knew going into the game that a big performance was needed against the league’s second placed side and each one of them stepped up to the plate and put in a top class performance to move into third spot on the table, one point behind Willow Park.

Kilbarrack had the dream start to the game and were two goals up after just four minutes. The first came in the first minute after Mark Nolan was tripped on the edge of the area and the ref awarded a free kick. Anto McKay played a quick one-two with David Jackson before curling perfectly into the far right corner. Just three minutes later Mikey Murphy pulled the ball back to the on-rushing Eoin Fowler who slammed the ball into the net to double the lead.

The game was being played at a frenetic pace with Kilbarrack maintaining the upper hand. It could have been three after 15 minutes after Adam Fox played a sublime reversed pass to slip Jackson in but the keeper made a good save from the midfielder’s strike. Up the other end minutes later Kilbarrack knew they were in for a tough night after Matt Lyons was required to pull off a brilliant save low to his right to maintain the two goal advantage.

With 21 on the clock, Anto McKay, who looked ever dangerous in a more advanced role after a few gamesĀ  as a sitting midfielder, poked a good ball into the path of Fowler but his effort went agonisingly wide. Minutes later Fowler was again causing problems for the Willow Park defence, this time being tripped in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. McKay stepped up and slammed it high down the centre for his second and Kilbarrack’s third of the game.

It was 4-0 with 35 on the clock and the game looked dead and buried. Mikey Murphy controlled a long high punt with exquisite skill before slipping in Sean Doyle who curled home from distance with the left peg.

With the half deep into time added on for injuries, Willow Park beat a badly set offside trap and pulled one back to give them some hope.

The second half started at a slower pace than the first, with both sides playing good football. The first clear chance of the half fell to Jackson but his curling effort went just over the bar on 67 minutes.

With 15 minutes remaining Kilbarrack got their fifth of the night. McKay played a perfectly weighted through ball to put substitute Keith Murray in on goal. His first strike was well saved but he latched onto the rebound before squaring to Fowler for his second of the night.

Willow Park to their credit never gave up the fight and continued to attack all evening. They got their second of the evening, a consolation goal with 83 on the clock with a well worked counter attack but it mattered little to the final score with Kilbarrack emerging as clear winners with their best performance of the season.

Next up for Chris McDonnell’s team is Hartstown Huntstown at home in the league on Friday 1st Februay.

KUFC Team:

  • Matt Lyons
  • Ben Quinlan
  • Adam Fox
  • Shane Madigan
  • Mark Nolan
  • Aaron Humphries
  • Anto McKay
  • David Jackson
  • Sean Doyle
  • Mikey Murphy
  • Eoin Fowler


  • Anto Moran
  • Dylan Travers
  • Gav Gaughran
  • Keith Murray
  • Adam McGinn
  • Andy Shorthall