LSL Lummy O’Reilly Cup

Dublin University -2

Kilbarrack utd – 1

Kilbarrack Utd exited the LSL Lummy O’Reilly Cup at the first hurdle on Thursday night against LSL Senior 1A high-flyers Dublin University at the Iveagh Grounds. Kilbarrack deserved more from the game but were edged out by a late winner from a former Kilbarrack player away from home.

In an entertaining first half, Kilbarrack had the better of the possession and always looked the more likely to open the scoring with David Jackson’s dead ball deliveries causing issues for the home defence throughout the 45.

After 7 minutes Jackson’s in-swinger from the left fell perfectly onto Adam Fox’s head but it went just over the bar. Up the other end the hosts had a couple of pops at Matt Lyons’ goal but never really troubled the Kilbarrack netminder.

With 30 minutes played Jackson was again causing problems and his clever free kick nearly caught the Dublin University keeper napping but his late, low dive into the corner prevented a certain goal. 10 minutes later another Jackson in-swinging free kick found a defenders head before bouncing off the crossbar. Kilbarrack were piling on the pressure and just before the break Dylan Travers hit a cracking strike that was tipped out of the top corner by the home keeper and the hosts were glad to hear the half time whistle moments later.

In the second half Kilbarrack picked up where they left off in the first and took a deserved lead on 51 minutes. Mark Nolan’s curling cross from the right was met by Sean Doyle’s glancing header which flew into the bottom corner giving the keeper no chance.

That lead however didn’t last long when 8 minutes later a looping header from the hosts that looked to be going over the bar dropped just under and into Matt Lyons’ net.

Soon after substitute Eoin Fowler made hist first appearance in nearly 2 months after injury and straight away was causing problems, having a header well saved.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes it looked like an extra 30 minutes would be required to separate the sides but with 82 on the clock a former Kilbarrack player came back to haunt us. What looked like a fairly innocuous ball across the box evaded all Kilbarrack defenders and Niall Cullen popped up to poke home from close range.

Kilbarrack pushed forward relentlessly in search of an equaliser with Folwer again going close only to be denied by an excellent save. As the clock struck 90 Aaron Humphries drove through on goal only to be unceremoniously hauled to the ground but the referee waved away the claims for the penalty and blew the whistle final whistle soon after.

Next up for Chris McDonnell’s side is a tough away trip to Collinstown in the league on Wednesday 9th January.


  • Matt Lyons
  • Anto Moran
  • Adam Fox
  • Aaron Humphries
  • Mark Nolan
  • Dylan Tavers
  • David Jackson
  • Ben Mulligan
  • Karl O’Reilly
  • Daniel Loftus
  • Sean Doyle


  • Dean Prendergast
  • Adam McGinn
  • Eoin Fowler