Leinster Senior League
Major 1D Saturday

Kilbarrack United – 2
Ballyfermot United – 1

Our Saturday Major 1D Team continued their excellent form with a gutsy home win against a very strong Ballyfermot side on Monday night at Greendale Road.

Kilbarrack suffered the loss of both strikers JP Brennan and Brian Fitzmaurice within the first 15 minutes. They were replaced by the excellent pairing of Mervin Mambo and Kevin Griffin. It only took Griffin 5 minutes to give Kilbarrack the lead with a bullet of a header into the roof of the net after a pinpoint delivery from a corner by Josh McKenna.

The game was end to end and played at a fierce tempo. Kilbarrack were passing the ball around beautifully and this side are a joy to watch.

The Centre Back Trio of Gavin Fitzsimons, Josh Keegan and Ciaran Whelan were in fine form and Wing Backs Alex Bodanea and Ross McGuiness worked tirelessly up and down the flanks. Robbie Dolan and Josh McKenna were controlling the midfield along with the Karl O’Reilly who was having a superb game.

Kilbarrack took their 1-0 lead into the half time break but Ballyfermot came out with all guns blazing and were getting well on top in the game. An equalizer soon followed when Kilbarrack keeper Conor Ennis was beaten by a quality strike.

Both teams were pushing for a winner as the game intensified. The brilliant Mervin Mambo had the ball in the net but it was harshly ruled out for a foul on the keeper, much to the relief of Ballyfermot.

Kilbarrack sent on Eamonn White and Callum Buchan and both slotted in very well into their roles. Buchan moved into centre half and Gavin Fitzsimons moved to right wing back and the switch almost paid dividends when Fitzsimons played a sweet ball to Mambo but his strike went narrowly wide with the keeper well beaten

Kilbarrack made their final change with Portuguese striker Armando Videira replacing the injured Griffin. Shortly after his arrival Videira followed up a rebound from a Josh McKenna free kick and bundled the ball into the back of the net but was the goal was again ruled out, this time for offside.

However this Kilbarrack team have showed on many occasions already this season that they play right until the final whistle and Gavin Fitzsimons flicked the ball into the net from another pinpoint Josh McKenna corner to secure all 3 points in the 94th minute.

Overall another fine performance and a hugely entertaining game which sees Kilbarrack move into 2nd spot,  only one point behind leaders Larkview but with a game in hand .