LSL Senior 1B 

Kilbarrack Utd – 2

Mullingar Ath – 1

Kilbarrack Utd put on their own version of the Friday night Late Late Show with an injury time penalty winner against Mullingar Ath at Greendale Road. With both sides still in the hunt for promotion, three goals in the final 12 minutes provided more drama than anything Ryan Turbidy could serve up on RTE.

It was a tight and tense affair throughout, and Kilbarrack’s promotion hopes looked to have suffered a killer blow with just 12 minutes remaining when the visitors took the lead, but Chris McDonnell’s side fought til the end and secured all three points with goals from Sean Doyle and Anto McKay.

Kilbarrack had started the better on the night and came close after eight minutes when Eoin Fowler outmuscled a Mullingar defender before pulling back to David Jackson but his effort flew over the bar. Five minutes later Keith Murray’s cross found Mikey Murphy in space but his volley was marginally wide.

Up the other end soon after Matt Lyons had to pull off a good save from a well driven shot outside the box.

Both sides pushed for chances throughout the 45 but there was nothing clear cut and the sides went into the break level after a half played at a high tempo.

In the second stanza Kilbarrack upped their urgency levels, knowing a victory was a must in the promotion chase. With 60 on the clock Fowler had a good chance after Jackson’s cross but his header was straight at the keeper.

With just 13 minutes remaining Kilbarrack had their best chance of the game. Jackson put in a great ball onto the head of Aaron Humphries but his powerful header was tipped over the bar by an in-form Mullingar keeper.

Just a minute later what seemed like disaster struck for Kilbarrack. A strange bounce of the ball fell to a Mullingar attacker and he powerfully fired past Lyons.

Kilbarrack took the sucker punch like a champ who knew they were about to lose their title, rolled back off the ropes and fired back with all they could muster. In a week where impossible comebacks were made believable, Kilbarrack knew there was hope.

With 81 on the clock Anto Mckay won a free kick by the corner flag. He drove his cross with power across goal and Doyle slammed home a volley to leave Mullingar rocked.

Just a minute later Doyle came close again but the Mullingar net-minder pulled off a top lass save – but Kilbarrack smelled blood.

The hosts threw everything forward but it looked like all was lost as the game went into the 93rd minute. One last roll of the dice however saw Fowler race onto a through ball he had no right to win and as he entered the edge of the area he was clipped by the defender and the referee had no hesitation pointing to the spot.

Anto McKay stepped up and showed nerves of steel to slam the penalty home to seal all three points for Kilbarrack and spark wild celebrations.

Next up for Kilbarrack is a trip to Athlone to face Willow Park next Wednesday night.


Images from the game