Tom Carroll Cup 3rd Round

Kilbarrack United -3
Dunboyne FC -0

On a cold but very sunny February Saturday our Major C Saturday team hosted Dunboyne FC in the last 16 of the Tom Carroll cup. Down to the bare bones Kilbarrack showed incredible passion and bravery as they overcame the odds against a strong Dunboyne team.
Dunboyne started on the front foot but couldn’t find a way past the centre half trio of Karl Clinch, Lee Conroy and Captain John Treanor.
Kilbarrack eventually got themselves firmly into the game and Calvin Ryan had a couple of attempts saved with Ross McGuinness a constant threat down the right, constantly frustrating the Dunboyne left full. Anto Moran was doing the same on the opposite side, another constant threat all day.
Kilbarrack opened the scoring on 40 minutes when the brilliant James Cumiskey skipped past several Dunboyne defenders to hammer the ball into the bottom corner of the net, a well deserved goal. Both flank defenders, Cumiskey and the ever excellent Dean Prendergast were running riot down the wings, feeding McGuinness and Moran constantly. The central midfield pairing of Josh McKenna and Adam McGinn were the engine behind everything happening in the middle of the park, both had outstanding games.
Dunboyne started the second half on the front foot but again were having difficulty getting past the central defensive trio and a number of brilliant challenges from the excellent Karl Clinch put a stop to numerous attacks, Lee Conroy was growing into the roll as the game wore on and produced a brilliant display, Captain Traynor looked comfortable and composed throughout and was a calming influence at the back.
Dunboyne came close to an equalizer with a long rage effort which Keeper Conn Mac Cormaic touched onto the bar with the glaring sun in his eyes, he followed up this with an excellent save at full stretch to preserve the lead.Shortly after, Cumiskey added his second after great work from Anto Moran which led to a goal mouth scramble with Cumiskey bundling the ball over the line. That was followed by a third goal from the excellent Calvin Ryan who worked hard all day and his goal was much deserved for the work he put in
With four minutes to go Karl Clinch had to leave the field with blood pouring from a nasty cut above his eye after a clash of heads. This summed up the bravery of this performance by this resilient side.
A place in the last 8 against Skerries Town awaits on February 23rd  and Kilbarrack will be confident of taking their place in the last 4 based on this performance.